Thursday, September 6, 2007

I'm kind of obsessed with camera obscura. Any band that has a Nordic couple dancing amidst a wall of IKEA lamps is a band I must enjoy. (Their lyrics aren't too bad, either. "We'll find a cathedral city / So you can be handsome / I'll be pretty." Also, they use an organ in a number of their songs.) I want them to come back to San Francisco. 

I can't really update this blog with any updates on the New West situation. I'm not sketching enough or thinking about it enough to make a cool and/or interesting revival of the magazine... for now.

I did do some work on a spec cover for an excellent book. My new goal is to get a small portfolio of spec covers to see if I can solicit some freelance work for small presses in the Bay Area. (Well, my real goal is to get a somewhat interesting job that allows me the time to pursue these small things — I'm slowly inching toward resolution on that goal.)

I'm going to try to intersperse this blog with some tidbits from life and to update more frequently. Also, I'll attempt to tell Rice folks about this blog, in case people want to see what's been going on in my "zany" life.

Doesn't this photo of Steve Jobs look kind of Blue Man Group-ish? (Let's set aside the "iPod touch" logo, of course.) I'm half tempted to go to an Apple Store and buy a 4 gig iPhone. $300! More storage space than my current iPod... though not by much. So I give in to rationality and wait until a firm job offer comes... or until a 3G iPhone comes out?

So I've discovered these things in the past week: 1) This Korean bar in Santa Clara is quite good. 2) I love Andrew Bujalski. I guess that's kind of a given — I'm an aimless, quasi-creative 20-something with a penchant for beer and ridiculous conversations. 3) BART from Millbrae to anywhere in the East Bay is ridiculous. 4) 311 operators are not only amazing with providing directions via MUNI, but also with many ridiculous tasks.

And with that, my first non-designy post is concluded. (Endnote: I do like that Leslie Feist now has her own iPod commercial. Admittedly, the video is kind of cool.)

No comments: